Founded in 1899 in West Virginia, Morgantown Glass Works produced high quality pressed and hand blown glassware throughout the first half of the 20th Century. Originally the company produced clear pressed glass. By the 1920s, Morgantown gained in popularity as its Depression glassware featured an array of beautiful colors, many situated in chrome holders. The company ceased its operations briefly in the late 1930s, but reopened as Morgantown Glassware Guild Inc. Later, Morgantown became a favorite of the Kennedy White House producing a line of lead crystal glassware for the First Lady. In 1965, Morgantown was sold to the Fostoria Glass Company and was eventually closed in 1971.